The St. Louis Union Station (also known as SLUS) no longer serves eastbound or westbound passenger trains. It is America’s most significant station and was constructed during America’s westward expansion. It can be used for entertainment or shopping. You will find many restaurants, cafes, museums, and plays. There are two choices: go on a tour, or stay at the hotel.
It was constructed in the middle of the 1890s. It was built in the middle 1890s.
The shed was transformed into an outdoor entertainment area that included an aquarium, a shop, and outdoor dining. It was an amazing transformation. View of St. Louis Union Station, November 1977 just before Amtrak left.
A Brief Historical History of St. Louis Union Station
Because of its location at the confluence between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, St. Louis was known as the “Gateway To The West”. The Transcontinental Railroad was built just over 20 years ago. Frontier continues to receive new lines. Here you’ll find trunk lines from Eastern and Western nations as well as future subsidiaries.
Iron Mountain & Southern, Missouri Pacific.
St. Louis was America’s fourth-largest metro area after the Civil War. It is now fourth in size, behind New York City and Philadelphia. Union Station is the home of Missouri Pacific’s #11, “Colorado Eagle”, train. Gulf, Mobile & Ohio E7A 22102 also houses train #4, “The Limited”, that will depart Union Station on April 17, 1963. Many westbound settlers were able to access the city because it was a gateway. This was a key factor in the city’s growth. St. Louis recognized the importance of the station and desired a station that could connect multiple terminals within the metropolis. It held a contest for global design and received entries from both the United States as well as Europe. Cameron and Link were selected as the winners.
Brian Solomon’s Railroad Stations reveals that Thomas C. Link, also known as Edward B. Cameron and French Romanesque style designer Edward B. Cameron, proposed a design that would be representative of the city’s French heritage. Hans and April Halberstadt wrote in their book, The American Train Depot & Roundhouse, that the building evokes a magnificent chateau on the Loire River. It is made from Missouri granite and has a unique appearance. It stands out among Midwestern cities such as Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Indianapolis which were built between 1878-1890. The #4 train of Gulf, Mobile & Ohio, also known as the northbound “Limited”, left St. Louis Union Station on April 16, 1963, bound for Chicago.
Its clock tower, which measured 280 feet, was the most prominent exterior feature. It featured towering Romanesque arches. Grand Hall featured a 65-foot vaulted ceiling. It also had stained-glass windows made in St. Louis by Davis & Chambers. The interior was divided into three parts. The Grand Hall was located in the Headhouse. It was decorated with mosaics/frescoes by Healy & Millet from St. Louis, as well as gold leaf details and scagliola. It measured 610 feet long and 70 feet wide. It was 610 feet in length. It measured 70ft in width and 610ft in length. George H. Pegram designed the 600-foot-wide Trainshed. The Trainshed spanned nearly 12 acres and had 32 tracks. In 1889, MP, StLIM&S, and Wabash founded the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis. It also had 32 tracks. Named after her, the Aloe Plaza was constructed for $100,000 in 1940. Bronze statues mark where the Mississippi River meets the Missouri River. These bronze statues were designed by Carl Milles, a Swedish artist. At its peak, the station could serve 31 railroad lines and 22 railroads. Some of these railroads joined the station later. These are the most spectacular trains that have ever been on TRRA’s rails.
B&O’s National Limited Diplomat & Diplomat.
Knickerbocker NYC and Southwestern Limited;
Missouri Pacific’s Missouri River Eagle. Missourian, Ozarker. Southerner. Sunflower. Sunshine Special
Abraham Lincoln and Mobile
L&N’s Humming Bird
Pennsylvania’s Spirit Of St. Louis (a joint venture by MP)
Names of all Wabash trains, including the Bluebird and the Wabash Cannonball
BNSF Rails, CSX Transportation, and CSX Transportation still use TRRA as a freight carrier.
Missouri Pacific PA-2 #8033 departs St. Louis Union Station via the “Texas Eagle”. (St. Louis, Texas).
On September 1, 1894, the St. Louis Union Station opened its doors to the public. It was built for $6.5 million and was a huge success. It was the first American mall. It was situated near Grand Hall. It is light and airy, with an open feeling. After only ten years, it was finally taken down. It was renovated to be able to host many visitors who came to the city for the 1904 World’s Fair. It was last renovated in the 1940s. The main focus was on the interior. It began to decline as more people started to use highways and other airlines in the 1950s/60s.
Amtrak took control of all intercity railroad services in the United States starting May 1, 1971. Union Station’s trainshed lost three trains. On October 31, 1978, the last train to leave Union Station was the Inter-American (Chicago-Laredo in Texas). Oppenheimer Properties purchased the building for $5.5million. This marked a major change from the previous owners. The structure was immediately renovated by the new owners. The structure was meant to be a popular entertainment venue, even though it didn’t have a train service. It was reopened to the public in August 1985 after a $150 million restoration. Saint Louis Union Station looks much better than when it was railroad-owned. The station is a landmark in Saint Louis due to its stunning interior and newly renovated rooms. The station has more than 20 restaurants, specialty shops, and bars. 2011 saw major renovations at the station. Major renovations were carried out at the station in 2011. Visitors and tourists have had the opportunity to stay in more luxurious accommodation. Metro Link continues to offer service even though four tracks were removed.